Sunday, October 21, 2007

A weekend of cooking

The forecast called for rain all weekend. I volunteered to cook Sunday dinner for the house, and learned a thing or too about French cooking along the way.

Saturday's task was to make a demi-glace. I roasted some bones and then prepared to simmer the stock


Six hours, some shallots, garlic, basil, and vermouth later, and this was the result



Yikes! I almost lost my sauce in the reduction step. I stopped paying attention while the sauce was bubbling happily away. When I next glanced at the pot, there was a mere 2 cups of sauce where there should have been 6. Luckily nothing had burned and you can always add the water back in. A close call.

Sunday morning brought a hunger for some waffles. Chopped Orenco apples from the UBC apple festival, whipped cream, freshly grated cinnamon, and generous splashes of maple syrup, made for a divine breakfast.


Dinner was delicious.




I think this shot says it all:




Baked apples with pecans, raisins, and a maple syrup reduction ended the day. Yum!

1 comment:

Nature Nerd said...

Yay! A new blog to visit :0)

I love that shot of Nana.