Monday, April 13, 2009

Dry hopping

James arrived on the Coast to help me celebrate my 5 day long weekend. We played plentiful music, and were duly humbled by North Shore mountain biking. It seems though that the camera only came out for a beer bottling session, and as such, that will be the topic of this post.

As it was Passover, we cracked open some He'brews to start the bottling session.


Though I had left the beer an unfortunate 13 days in the bucket, the seal was apparently still quite strong.


This was my first attempt at dry hopping. The goal is to add additional flavour and aroma to the India Pale Ale without adding bitterness. So, instead of boiling the hops during the brew process, they were simply added cold after 3 days to the primary fermenter. I was a little confused about the term "dry hopping", as the hops are clearly wet, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. Wikipedia didn't know anything about dry hopping, but offered this useful suggestion.


I presume "dry" in the confusing terminology of brewing means "not cooked", and not, "not wet" as is commonly understood.
Frustratingly, the hops got sucked in to the siphoning tube, severely throttling the filling rate, but with the help of the He'brews, I relaxed for a zen bottling experience.



And, just before leaving, I'll include one more James in the kitchen photo from his last visit.


We pan-fried the poppadoms in 2 inches of oil. They were exceptionally delicious. If James looks a little cautious with the hot oil here, it's because moments earlier I was reminded of that old saying about oil and water. The pan had just been washed, and there was still a little water left in the bottom, which was then coated in 2 inches of oil. We heated the pan, the water completely vaporized, and then pushed its way up to the surface creating a gushing geyser of maiming hot oil with a loud explosive pop. Lesson learned kids. Be careful.

2 comments:

Nature Nerd said...

Hey! James didn't say anything about dry humping on his trip to the coast. Hmph.

woollen knickers said...

Dry hopping is definitely a nice way to go. I just finished my IBA (It's Been Awhile...since I brewed) IPA. I use hop pellets. Helps cut down on the clogging, and the hops that makes its way into the bottles settles out with the rest of the yeast and things.